Villa Ursula Apartment ***** – your best destination for a great vacation
info: +385 99 8324901

Bribir

The remnants of old walls and the town tower remind of the times of the princes of Frankopan, whose rule of four centuries left deep spiritual and material imprints in Vinodol. Bribir flourished the most in the time of Prince Bernardin Frankopan, who strengthened the citadel and town walls. When squire’s estate of Bribir was abolished in 1848, local government leveled Vela and Mala vrata (entrance doors leading inside the walls) and the citadel, and a school was built in their place. This is how the long and glorious history of Bribir’s citadel ended in ruins. The only remnants of Bribir’s citadel are the quadrangular tower dating from 1302 and a part of the walls. The hill on which the old part of the town is located offers view of the valley and of Novi Vinodolski. Renaissance works of art in St. Peter and Paul Church bear witness to the high level of cultural and civilizational attainments of medieval Vinodol and to strong bonds with Europe.

TOWN TOWER WITH A PART OF THE WALL

These are remnants of the former castle, the medieval hill-fort from the 12th century. Princes of Krk owned the castle since the 13th century, and since the 16th century it was in possession of counts Zrinski. Town walls and towers were ruined in the 19th century. The only remnants are the quadrangular tower from 1302 and parts of town walls in the north side.

ST. PETER AND PAUL CHURCH

It was built in 1524 in the place of the old church which must have existed in the time of drawing up of the Vinodol Codex in 1288, and probably even earlier. It was expanded, re-decorated and re-arranged in a baroque manner during the first half of the 18th century. It was burned at the end of 1944, and renewed in the 1980’s.
The rich treasury of St. Peter and Paul parish church contains a Renaissance relief of Mother of God with Christ, or the White Lady, a work of Florentine painters which designed it in white marble; a painting by Jacop Palma Jr. called “Washing of Christ’s Feet”, which is a significant work of art. Also significant are Renaissance custodia with an iron grate from the 15th century and the main marble altar designed by the sculptor Antonio Michelazzi. The crucifix of bishops of Krbava, the so-called Milonja’s Crucifix from the 13th century, which was brought to Vinodol by bishop Modruša Krištafor, also belongs to St. Peter and Paul Church, but it is preserved in Rijeka.

Pictures & text taken from http://www.tz-vinodol.hr/

Villa Ursula - Grižane
address: Marušići 11, 51244 Grižane (Crikvenica), Croatia
tel: +385 99 8324901
e-mail: kornelija.balas@gmail.com
open: all season

Grižane-Belgrad
13°
Sunny
FriSatSun
19/10°C
23/11°C
23/16°C